[vorbis] Using a CBR when encoding to *.ogg

Dave Sieber dsieber at mediaone.net
Sun Jun 17 16:11:50 PDT 2001

> Also, can one take a 128kbs MP3 file and re-encode it to ogg?  If
> so, please
> explain the procedure.

If you have the original CD you would be better off re-ripping and
re-encoding to ogg, as you will probably lose quality otherwise. However...

Run CDex and go to the Setup page. Under "Encoder" select "Ogg Vorbis DLL",
and set the desired bitrates. I'm no expert at this, having recently started
myself, but I have gotten satisfactory results setting "Nominal Bitrate" to
128 kbps, and leaving "Minimal" and "Maximum" at the defaults. Make sure "On
the fly Encoding" is checked (for CD -> OGG in one step), and of course
select "Stereo".

There are two ways to re-encode a file:

1) Drag-and-drop. Open Windows Explorer, locate and select the .MP3 file(s)
you want to re-encode, and drag them to CDex. You will get a pop-up, "Select
options for dropped files". Click on "Encode" to re-encode them to ogg. Do
not check "Delete WAV file after encoding" unless you are completely certain
everything will go right and that you will never want the MP3 again :-)
(Although it says "WAV", it really means the input file, in this case the
MP3's you dragged in).

2) Menu command. Run CDex and remove any CD in your drive (if the menus are
disabled, click the "Eject" button). On the "Convert" menu select "MPEG ->
MPEG". Again, even though it says "MPEG", you have chosen Ogg Vorbis as your
encoder, so it will output .ogg files. Locate the files you want to process
and click on "Open" to let it rip, so to speak :-)

So you've done one or the other, and your next question is, "Where the hell
are the .ogg files???" :-) Go to the Setup screen again, and look at the
"Filenames" tab. The "WAV -> MP3" setting is where the .ogg files are
written, so set it to your desired location.

Last comment, to repeat myself: if you have the original CD's, re-rip and
re-encode. I've been doing a project like this all weekend, and the results
are better this way. I've also re-encoded from MP3 to .ogg, which works
fine, as far as that goes, but remember that when you do this, Ogg has only
the 128 kbps input to work from, so you probably will not realize all of the
benefits Ogg Vorbis can give you when going from pure WAV to OGG.

--
dave