[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] Re: libao and recent ALSA builds

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jun 13 01:08:22 PDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, John Morton wrote:

> As an aside, I notice that a lot of extensions are detected via the existance
> of some sort of foo-config script (gtk,artsc and so on), but these scripts
> are usually included in debian library packages and not the corresponding
> lib-dev package. This tends to mean that you get part way into building
> before you discover you need to apt-get some development package, and it's
> not as clear as it could be as to what you're missing.
>
> I think I should report this as a bug to debian, but there might be case for
> including the config script in the library package that will keep things this
> way for a while. Anyone know what rpms tend to do?

I'd guess that RPM's would do similar things.  I personally think that the
fault lies with the libao configure script.  Case in point - I had timidity
(debian package) installed that required some functions in libesd0, which
meant I had libesd0 also installed.  Now libesd0 depended upon
esound-common so I also had that.  Note that I did not have esound itself,
let alone any development libs.  Now, the libao 0.6 configure script found
enough to make it think that I had enough of ESD for it to compile the ESD
output driver.  Of course, I did not, and I had a hell of a time forcing it
not to.

If a program or library needs a development file or files in order to
compile then that is what it should be checking for.  Debian will probably
say, and rightly so, that it's not their fault if someone's configure
script is looking for the wrong thing.

Note that I'm not having a go at anyone here, I'm just pointing out what I
personally think the problem is.  I have almost no idea about writing
configure scripts or any of that, and I thank those who make life much
easier for us by doing so.

Geoff.