[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] Re: libao and recent ALSA builds

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 18:51:58 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 13:17, you wrote:
>  I've committed a fix that is essentially your patch, but it also allows
> ESD and aRts to be disabled as well.
>
>  Thanks for the patch!

Worked for me from the nightly CVS snapshot, too. What's more I could build
and install libao and subsequently build vorbis-tools without having to use a
CVS version, which is nice.

As an aside, I notice that a lot of extensions are detected via the existance
of some sort of foo-config script (gtk,artsc and so on), but these scripts
are usually included in debian library packages and not the corresponding
lib-dev package. This tends to mean that you get part way into building
before you discover you need to apt-get some development package, and it's
not as clear as it could be as to what you're missing.

I think I should report this as a bug to debian, but there might be case for
including the config script in the library package that will keep things this
way for a while. Anyone know what rpms tend to do?

John