[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jun 10 17:26:53 PDT 2001

> the fact that it is cheaper than other proprietary software is _not_ the
> point in promoting, using and aiding development of free technologies.
> the choice is _political_ : as it was with gutenberg, 5 centuries ago,
> now comes another possibility of horizontalizing the distribution of
> knowledge and avoiding it's decay in other proprietary scenarios.

In the big picture, your assertion is true and dissemination of
knowledge is our primary goal.  However, when pitching to specific
industry members, the lower physical cost of using the technology is
usually the point most relevant to getting in the door.

The fact is that both aspects of Free technology is relevant.  One or
the other may be more interesting to a particualr decision maker.  We
do not want to give the impression we're shorting our political goals.

Monty