[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Wilson defiler at null.net
Tue Jun 5 09:11:35 PDT 2001

The way I understand it is that only a process that has the original WAV
file to examine can choose the optimum output at a given bitrate. You can
get close with "bitrate peeling", but it's always going to be an
approximation, because there's no way to reconstruct the original data set.
Actually, I don't see why a similar tool couldn't be developed for MP3..
There must be something basic that I'm missing.

--Wilson.