[vorbis] [new?] Streaming technique

Joerg Bergmann bergmann at rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 5 09:42:30 PDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:24:33 -0500, Aaron Plattner wrote:

>Assuming bitrate peeling works correctly, what's preventing
>you from just taking a 128kbps stream and splitting it into
>a 64kbps sub-stream and a 64kbps "extra data" stream?  The
>second stream won't be a valid Vorbis audio file, but when
>combined with the 64kbps sub-stream, it'd be the original
>128kbps stream again.  Right?  Am I misunderstanding
>something?
>
>Aaron Plattner

As I assume, bitrate peeling itself is a nonlinear thing, too.
It will do a kind of reconstruction the frequency distribution and
(nonlinear) scaling down to a more restricted data set. This is
not the optimum set (quality will be somewhat lower than encoding
the original data with lower bitrate). But, after doing so, there
is no _remaining_data_. Due to the nonlinearity, the peeled data
is no subset of the original data. I'm not a ogg insider, but this
is my experience with strongly nonlinear compression of XRPD data
sets (a discipline of crystallography), where I'm programming
for more than a dozen years.

J"org Bergmann
email at jbergmann.de