[vorbis] DVD 5.1 surround -> ogg ?

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 11:19:05 PDT 2001

> Note that the 5.1 channel audio tracks on dvd videos
> are already
> compressed with Dolby's AC3 perceptual codec (at
> least in region 1) so
> you'd expect transcoding artifacts similar to
> mp3->ogg conversion. Not
> that the divx market cares. ;-)

Good point!
But wouldn't they have that problem with the .mp3
files they are using now in DivX ;) presumably they
are
generating raw audio files and re-encoding them in
.mp3 format. Perhaps this re-encoding would be more
forgiving with another mpeg format than with vorbis
though!

Wow I never thought of that till you mentioned it! :)

love

Freya