[vorbis] Bitrate peeling

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 02:08:13 PDT 2001

I have a question about bitrate peeling.

A lot of people have talked about bitrate peeling and
how great it is for streaming which is fine and
everything, but what I would like to do is a little
different and I wondered if it is possible.

I would like to peel the file so that I have a smaller
file using bitrate peeling and make it available for
download.

I would then like to take the skin I just peeled and
make that available to download as well.

Then there would be a program that would put the skin
back on the peeled file.

This would mean people could download the smaller file
and see if they liked the music. If they did then they
could just download the skin to get the higher quality
version, so they wouldn't have to download the main
part of the file again.

A lot of people have been quite dismissive about the
file size side of vorbis, but here in the uk, this is
still a big issue as most people have at best 56k
modems. High bandwidth connections are still hard to
get and often expensive to boot. Bitrate peeling could
really help with this.

What I have described would be a big advantage I think
but I don't think that there is any support for this
in vorbis yet as no-one has mentioned this????

Perhaps it is impossible. It certainly doesn't seem to
work with bannanas.

love

Freya