[vorbis] Format comparison

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Jun 21 23:26:42 PDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Craig Dickson wrote:

> So with this in mind, if one wants to draw a proper analogy between
> VHS/Beta and Ogg/MP3, what basic functionality is MP3 missing that Ogg
> provides?
>
> The silence gap is the only thing I can think of. I'm not sure that's
> important enough, but maybe I'm underestimating it.
>
> Bitrate peeling is nice, but for the consumer to care about that,
> portable MP3/Ogg players have to become a lot more popular than I think

Not necessarily.  Bitrate peeling is going to make many more streams
available to low bandwidth users.  It will also make life much easier with
one link to click on instead of 2 or 3.  And of course, for these people,
the sound quality will improve.

> Other than that, the differences between Ogg and MP3 are mostly not
> "we can do this, they can't", but rather, "we can do it better", which
> is a much less compelling argument to the consumer in the face of an
> established standard.

OK, you got me thinking now.  Well OK Vorbis can do more than 2 channels.
This is not such a big deal now but it's likely to become so.  One other
thing Vorbis has over MP3 is that you can have songs at different
bitrates/sampling rates in a stream and the player will just cope.  Again,
something that will probably impact upon the consumer indirectly but ...

Anyone think of anything else?

Geoff.