[vorbis] Format comparison

Scott Manley scott at myplay.com
Wed Jun 20 16:35:47 PDT 2001

> Anyway, are you seriously arguing that continuous mix CDs are something
> the average listener is into? I think not. Can you name even one
> continuous mix electronica album that has ever even gone gold, much less
> platinum? The only platinum-class electronica artist I can think of is
> Moby, and he's dismissed as pop music by a lot of serious electronica
> fans. And he doesn't do continuous mixes anyway.

Oh dear you seem to forget that people buy music that don't live in the
US

In the UK mix CD's sell more than more artist CD's - at least some of
them do - mostly ones associated with a big name. Dance music *is* the
pop music you're talking about in the UK.

> To look at it another way (perhaps a more relevant one), have you ever
> searched for Paul Oakenfold or Sasha+Digweed stuff on Napster or
> Gnutella (even back when Napster was a big deal)? I have. Usually
> there's nothing. Sometimes you find somebody who has an album. I've had
> better luck looking for cult pop acts from twenty or thirty years ago,
> to say nothing of the top classic-rock songs or current hits.

Umm that's where I get all my essential mixes - try searching for
'eseential mix' and seeeing how many you get.

Take a look at amazon.co.uk's top albums, 3 of the top 10 are dance
music CD's

(2) Faithless (some carryover between trakc)
(3) Cafe Del Mar Volume 8 - a straight up DJ mix cd
(9) The Chillout Session Vol.2
And in the top hundred I count between 20 and 30 dance albums..

It's a big world out there - don't ignore it

--
Scott Manley (AKA Szyzyg)
Streaming Media Hacker