[vorbis] Low bitrate: when?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jun 18 13:53:07 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:32:44PM -0400, Patrick Masters wrote:
> Well, that seems kind of shitty that he isnt contributing the low bit rate
> to open source code. Gee, looks liek something free made someone else a bit
> more greedy.

It's not greed, it's capitalism.  (How's that for starting an
argument! :-) ...and it's the way this works.  The first order cashing
in on Ogg will probably be relatively 'get-rich-quick-ish' sort of
attemts that involve little work on the part of the repackager, but I
wanted the libogg code to be available to third parties that want to
put real work into real enhancements and seek monetary reward.  The
formaqt providesa great deal of room to do so, and I won't be able to
fill that room myself.  The small core team (myself and the other Ogg
developers) will not be able to be the only source of Ogg technical
support for long.  Letting third parties cash in provides an incentive
for those third parties to also take over a large share of the
technical support load.

A thriving vendor market is necessary for Ogg to succeed and I don't
want to discourage it.  The infrastructure will remain (and must
remain Free), but that doesn't mean for a second only altruistic
paladins are invited.  The Freedom of the format and of our code will
keep the playing field level.

Monty