[vorbis] Can I encode now?

Dave Sieber dsieber at mediaone.net
Sat Jun 16 02:50:20 PDT 2001

> Actually only the decoder 1.0 (that is release-canditate 1) is coming this
> weekend. We'll still have to wait a bit for the RC1 encoder.
> Anyway, to answer your question. Yes I think it is OK. I have a couple
> of CDs encoded with beta4 in -b192 mode and there are no
> apparent artifacts. Since you are encoding your CDs you can always
> re-encode. So, if you don't want to wait any longer, encode them with
> beta4 and eventually you can re-encode them once final 1.0 version
> comes out.

Thanks, I will start now then. I'm not trying to archive CD's, just putting
a bunch on the computer so that I can play them while working. Since I don't
have a ton of disk space, size is a bit more important than quality, but I
want to find the right trade-off. Anyway, with my computer and desktop
speakers, I'm not in an audiophile listening environment :-)

In the CDex config dialog, I have options for "Minimal", "Nominal", and
"Maximum" bitrates. I set the "Nominal" at 128, and left the others at
"Default". I did a few CD's and they sound just fine, and in fact are
smaller than the original MP3's I had. Does this sound like a reasonable
setup, keeping in mind my purpose?

> (I hope you not trying to re-encode your MP3 by decompressing
> them to WAV and then encoding in OGG, because this way you'll
> only lose quality).

Right -- I'm re-ripping and re-encoding from the CD's, and trying out
FreeAmp and WinAMP for playback.

--
dave