[vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license

Roel VdB vdbj at yucom.be
Sun Jun 10 00:09:24 PDT 2001

some half-quote from the forum/list, why also the reply here...

Jack Moffitt said:
> But there are no royalties if you are streaming for free.

>It doesn't say that.  It says if you are distributing music for
>free.It doesn't say anything about streaming.  I would hope there
>would be no fees, but I bet they will just be passed upstream. ie,
>live365 will have to pay based on a percent of their total revenue,
>even though the users are streaming for free, etc.

It says what it says:

>Quote:"If MP3 is used for free distribution on the Internet, we will
>not charge royalties," he says. But "if people monetize, the
>inventors should have their fair share," he adds.

this reads:

+ artists can distribute their music for free via the net
+ you can have a site, distributing free samples or free albums by
different artists for free
+ you'd only have to pay if you were selling MP3 tracks and albums
+ music/radio stations can freely air/send out mp3 streams

What Moffit says is imo mistaken and does not make any sense.
If what he says is true then any artist must pay 2% of his global
income because they give away even ONE free mp3.  So rolling Stones
put up some free clips for their fans and they get charged on
global income?

This would be ridiculous and can't ever be done or asked.

It is like stated: You only are charged 2% if you set up a commercial
music distibution via mp3. (distribution is imo still streaming + any
other form of "distributing" music)

I can understand this is could be harsh news for OGG developers that
just saw 85% of the OGG target use, and reason for existing, been
taken away.

Now artists/radio can freely and legally stream/distribute MP3.  Those
that do want to charge on a digital distribution will very likely opt
for some watermarked/crypted format rather than OGG.

It says just that imo. But if you disagree, you disagree. - r3mix.net

--
Best regards,
 Roel                          mailto:vdbj at yucom.be