[vorbis] Release Candidate 1 encoder ?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Tue Jul 31 01:42:54 PDT 2001

Hello Gian-Carlo,

Monday, 30 July, 2001, 18:35:08, you wrote:

GCP> From what I heard, it's going to be delayed a bit till
GCP> the encoder internals are restructured and it's going to
GCP> be called RC2.
GCP> Anything official? Monty?

I don't mind waiting for as long as it takes - surely it is better to
wait then to rush with RC version if it's not ready. These things take
time, I understand that. But public should be also kept updated,
because if it isn't, then all kinds of ugly rumors and
half-informations start to spread and then more time needs to be spent
to undo the damage...

As a side note, www.mp3licensing.com has been updated/redesigned. The
price-list is now more detailed - for example, for mp3PRO C++ codec
source code Thomson wants $500.000 (!) and $250.000 for mp3 source
code. Those prices are non-creditable, meaning you have to pay all
up-front...

--
Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov/
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3