[vorbis] Here we go again...

Daniel Richards kyhwana at world-net.co.nz
Sun Jul 22 01:20:02 PDT 2001

On 22 Jul 2001, at 9:30, Geoff Shang wrote:

> Here's what I don't get.  I don't understand how such a scheme can be
> introduced without affecting all stand-alone CD players.  If standard
> players can play them, then surely standard rippers can rip them or at
> least can be hacked to do so.
[snip]
Apprently playing and ripping an audio CD are different.
Ripping entails digitally reading stuff off the disc, and audio CD's
arn't Random Access, the drive has to read each sector in order. Or
something. Im sure Monty can explain this better :)

Daniel Richards - http://leopard.osoal.org.nz/~kyhwana/
PGP Pub key:
http://shell.world-net.co.nz/~kyhwana/DanielRPubKey.asc
Fingerprint: 416D 4027 D635 AF51 F2BF  60DF 4D94 F7A0 9893 2848