[vorbis] Multichannel vorbis.

rillian rillian at telus.net
Thu Jul 19 12:21:54 PDT 2001

On Thursday, July 19, 2001, at 07:34 , Aaron Plattner wrote:

> As a side question, will Vorbis directly encode Dolby Digital streams
> somehow,
> or will there be a Dolby Digital to Ambisonics stage first?  It seems
> to me
> that since Dolby Digital is just planar audio, it should be possible to
> encode
> it in a 3-channel Ambisonic format, although I don't know how well that
> would
> work for movies with speech only in the front.

I assume you mean 5.1 surround, rather than 'Dolby Digital' which
commonly means AC3. I don't think anyone's decided yet. Ambisonics is
better technology, but 5.1 seems to be becoming as established a
standard as l/r stereo.

No one with a test rig has come forward with empirical results, but I
wouldn't expect 3-channel ambisonics would work for movie sound. The
whole point of the three forward channels is to give accurate imaging
over the space of the screen. You'd need 6 channels to do planar imaging
with that kind of directionality. And finally, it's not clear what do do
with the low frequency effects channel (the .1). Dolby says you're free
to ignore it or mix it in with the others, of course.

The counter-argument would be that if we don't insist on native
ambisonic surround, it'll end up being an optional feature and everyone
will go with 5.1. And then we'll get to add 7.1 if/when that becomes
more common.

  -r