[vorbis] Multichannel vorbis.

Aaron Plattner aaronp at crosswinds.net
Thu Jul 19 07:34:00 PDT 2001

I managed to make a 4 channel .ogg by taking two 2-channel wavs, converting
them to raw and using a small program I wrote to interleave them, and then
using sox -c 4 to make a 4-channel .wav.  Oggenc was happy to encode that into
a 4-channel .ogg file.  It wouldn't play using the OSS driver, but the ALSA
driver played it just fine, although I found out later that it mixes the front
and back channels together when it plays, which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

As a side question, will Vorbis directly encode Dolby Digital streams somehow,
or will there be a Dolby Digital to Ambisonics stage first?  It seems to me
that since Dolby Digital is just planar audio, it should be possible to encode
it in a 3-channel Ambisonic format, although I don't know how well that would
work for movies with speech only in the front.

Aaron Plattner