[vorbis] ABR or CBR?

Bacchus 13 bacchus13 at zdnetonebox.com
Sun Jul 8 23:43:49 PDT 2001

> Monty wrote:

>>CBR is not patented and Vorbis has no CBR option because
>> it is not natively CBR.  MP3 is based on fixed sized frames, Vorbis
>> is not. (MP3 actually implements a limited ABR on top of the fixed
>> size frame option, so CBR is a misnomer for MP3 as well).

Oh, sorry for wrong information.  I read that one from some where else
long time ago and took it naively.  Then, techinically, there are no
genuine CBR in MP3 or Ogg Vorbis.

>> By 'CBR' I mean 'simulated fixed bitrate within a small window of
frames', the same thing it means in MP3 (where the window is nine frames).

Then, in this limited sense, Beta 1-4 are all 'CBR.'  O.K.

In that case, In RC 1, are you putting ABR and VBR option in addition
to this 'CBR' option of Betas?  Or it is just because of this confusing
'lingo'and you are putting only VBR and no ABR?

If you are busy, you just igonre this question.  We will know the answer
anyway when RC1 is released.

Segher wrote:

> No, it's not 9 frames, it's 4095 octets.  Maximum backward frames
> needed is nine frames, yes.

There is always a bigger fish, isn't it? ;-)