[vorbis] OT: DivX ;)

Anthony Arcieri bascule at holly.ColoState.EDU
Wed Jul 11 16:09:44 PDT 2001

> There are a few differences between DivX ;) and ms
> MP4, one of the big ones is that it allows .mp3 audio,
> but the other one is that it allows MP4 video in an
> AVI file.

There's nothing which prevents playback of Microsoft MPEG-4 v3 in an AVI
file.  If you have a FCC tags editor you can try it yourself (change
DIV3/DIV4 to MP43, I've written a program to do this if you truly don't
believe me)  You can also encode with Microsoft's codec and interleave it
into an AVI file, it just requires using Microsoft's tools to do it
(namely GraphEdit, construct a filter graph which uses the Microsoft
MPEG-4 v3 encoder and the AVI mux filter, it works)  The same goes for
ASF, you can build a filter graph which decompresses an ASF then transcode
it using whatever DirectShow filters you want.  The only disadvantage of
this is you can't losslessly/blindly copy the contents like you can with
VirtualDub and are forced to transcode the resulting video.

Tony Arcieri