[vorbis] Calculating encoded file size with different format

Robert Voigt f1k at gmx.de
Mon Jul 2 11:25:48 PDT 2001

On Monday 02 July 2001 15:20, Aardvaak wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Irealized different codecs can encode achieve different compression ration
> with different files. The point is a wma *can* result in a smaller file fo
> one song. For another one (all other thng like bitrate... being equal),
> mp"pro or vorbi or whatever you like can encode better.
>
> I guess it is possible to calculate the average resulting size using
> different encoders _before_ encoding of course. Did you heard about a
> program that could tell me for one given input file, which codec will
> achieve the smallest size? It is possible to do that in a batch way?

Doesn't make sense. The easiest way to tell exactly the resulting file size
is to encode.
And if different encoders produce different file sizes, they probably produce
different quality too. If you don't care about those differences in quality,
just stick to one encoder and choose a lower bitrate.

Different encoders produce different file sizes because each has its own
technology. Ogg Vorbis is open. If someone has an improvement, he can add it
to the code. The more people do so, the better Vorbis will get. There will be
no need for different codecs.