[vorbis] Calculating encoded file size with different format

Aardvaak Aardvaak at ifrance.com
Mon Jul 2 06:20:14 PDT 2001

Hi there,

Irealized different codecs can encode achieve different compression ration with different files. The point is a wma *can* result in a smaller file fo one song. For another one (all other thng like bitrate... being equal), mp"pro or vorbi or whatever you like can encode better.

I guess it is possible to calculate the average resulting size using different encoders _before_ encoding of course. Did you heard about a program that could tell me for one given input file, which codec will achieve the smallest size? It is possible to do that in a batch way? After all, with all these different decoders we hve in players, with the total transparency we have, that could be great for saving space if you're not absolutely concerned with quality (that is the case for people who have an archive copy of their song (CD or Monkey's Audio) and don't have great audio gear; like most laptop speakers.