[vorbis] OT: JPEG and patents

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 08:19:32 PDT 2001

While the PNG thread is thrashing around wildly,
(Hey it's good to make some people familiar with
another great format!) I'd like to ask again, if
anyone knows for definite if JPEG is covered by
patents (or not). I was under the impression it was
because I seem to remember reading a notice from the
JPEG- group saying that they allowed people to use
JPEG in exchange for a notice in their software or
something, but I might be making this up?

This is at least vaguely near our topic as it is about
compression patents. :)

love

Freya