[vorbis] Re: Encoding with Channel-Coupling

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Sun Jul 1 15:45:06 PDT 2001

Hello Magnus,

Monday, 02 July, 2001, 00:15:00, you wrote:

MvK> BTW: I don't suggest you to re-encode MP3 files to Ogg, as you'll only
MvK> loose quality this way. Encode to Ogg only from original CDs, or from
MvK> MP3 if you *really* don't have any other option.
MvK> That's what I am actually doing (and was trying to say).

Don't re-encode, you'll only lose quality & time. Since you can play
MP3 anywhere, there's no real need to do this.

MvK> Is it clear when the RC1 encoder will be released? And anyway, what

RC1 encoder will be released when Monty think it's ready. :-)
Probably in July or August.

MvK> good is the 1.0 decoder if I can't have channel-coupled encoding?

Decoder was released so that companies which implement Vorbis
don't have to upgrade in the future.

MvK> Would you suggest that I wait until after the 1.0 release before I
MvK> start re-encoding all of my CDs (which would be a lot of work ...)? Or
MvK> is beta4 actually good enough?

Well I would suggest to wait for at least RC1, but that really depends
on whether you are satisfied with current quality/compression ratio
and with encoding options that oggenc has right now. Since RC1 will
appear soon (in a month or two), I suggest you wait.

MvK>  What bitrate should I choose with beta4 to
MvK> achieve archive quality (maybe having the option to add lossless
MvK> channel coupling, reducing the size of my files)?

-b256 mode is transparent for almost all songs I have tried. Even
though there are still some bugs in this mode, I think it is very
near archive quality. Still, for massive encoding I would suggest
waiting for RC1 to come out since this will happen soon.

--
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3