[vorbis] Re: Encoding with Channel-Coupling

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jul 1 19:25:13 PDT 2001

> Is it clear when the RC1 encoder will be released?

July.

> And anyway, what
> good is the 1.0 decoder if I can't have channel-coupled encoding?

Companies can deploy/release player software *now* that will work with 1.0.

> Would you suggest that I wait until after the 1.0 release before I
> start re-encoding all of my CDs (which would be a lot of work ...)?

If the best size/quality ratio is imperative, wait.  1.0 isn't that
far off.

If b4 sounds good to you, use it :-)

> is beta4 actually good enough? What bitrate should I choose with beta4 to
> achieve archive quality (maybe having the option to add lossless
> channel coupling, reducing the size of my files)?

There is a tuning bug in beta 4 that results in some bass rumble even
at high bitrates.  It only shows up on some samples, but there's no
denying it's there.  Some people find it obvious and objectionable,
others can't hear it.

Personally, I currently encode my own .oggs at 160.  At 1.0, I'll be
using 96 or 128.

Monty