OT: Compact Disk Audio (was: [vorbis] Here we go again...)

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Mon Jul 23 20:45:07 PDT 2001

Jonathon Fowler wrote:
> Maybe I'm just forgetful but I was always under the impression that it
> was the CD-R formats that wrote error correction data in the (2328-2048)
> bytes at the end of each sector. I always thought the CD-audio format
> never had error correction data and used the entire 2328-byte sectors
> for audio data storage without error correction information, unless of
> course I'm getting confused and really don't know the finer details of
> the CD format as I thought I did.

I tried to find some useful information. What I was unsuccessfully
looking for was the original Red Book text, but there has been some
intersting sounding stuff among the rest:

http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/Red_Book/CD.html
http://www.emedialive.com/EM2000/starrett5.html
... and a more simple explanation that satisfies people like me:
http://www.cdpage.com/Compact_Disc_Books/redbook.html

Error correction is _the_ gimmick when it comes to CD-A. :)

Moritz