[vorbis] Here we go again...

Jonathon Fowler jonof at dingoblue.net.au
Mon Jul 23 15:59:30 PDT 2001

Maybe I'm just forgetful but I was always under the impression that it
was the CD-R formats that wrote error correction data in the (2328-2048)
bytes at the end of each sector. I always thought the CD-audio format
never had error correction data and used the entire 2328-byte sectors
for audio data storage without error correction information, unless of
course I'm getting confused and really don't know the finer details of
the CD format as I thought I did.

Jonathon

craig duncan wrote:

> Hongli Lai wrote:
>
>>On Monday 23 July 2001 14:38, you wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, [Windows-1250] Jernej Simonèiè wrote:
>>>When standalone CD player (or your CD-ROM when playing through
>>>soundcard) encounters uncorrectable error on disc, it silences that
>>>part of audio, as it's less hearable that pop or click. However, when
>>>you digitally extract that same place, your ripper won't "turn the
>>>volume down" for the click, but will simply write it to disk.
>>>

>>Isn't it possible to detect read errors on disc, and then instead of
>>digitalizing the error, digitalize the correction?
>>

> That'll be the s/w that defeats this particular scheme.  Just a little ripper
> add-on.  In regard to the question about pops & clicks vs. dropouts, the
> (above) implied answer is that you _don't_ experience a dropout because the
> CD format comprises a good deal of redunandancy in the form of extra error
> correction data.  So they put errors on the disc but also the extra
> redundancy data to correct the errors.  I can't believe anyone would think
> this would defeat the hacker community's ability to program a ripper that
> does exactly what Hongli wrote, though -- save the corrected data.
>
> craig

After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.

Jonathon Fowler
jonof at edgenetwk.com - ICQ 17263235
http://jonof.edgenetwk.com/