[vorbis] How do you pronounce 'Ogg Vorbis'?

Craig Dickson crdic at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 08:51:42 PDT 2001

Andre Kajita - Administrador da Rede wrote:

> Sure, it's not that tough and the world won't come to a standstill but
> why doesn't Monty - the guy that's soon gonna be in every
> paper/website in the world - make an .OGG with those famous words:
>
> "My name is Christopher 'Monty' Montgomery and I pronounce Ogg Vorbis
> 'Ogg Vorbis'."
>
> The file would also be a great demo, maybe even becoming the "My name
> is Linus Torvalds..." of Ogg players!  :)

This is a cute idea. I like it.

I suppose Jack or Monty would be the authoritative source for the
pronunciation, but just as a contrast to your version, I've always
pronounced Ogg Vorbis as I think any native English speaker (or at
least, American English speaker) would:

O = short, like the A in "father" or the O in "bother"
gg = hard, as in "egg"

V = English-style, like humming while saying an "f", as opposed to the
    W-like sound that Germans use for V
or = like the English word "or"
bis = rhymes with "kiss"; like "bliss" without the L

Accent on the first syllable of each word: OGG' VOR'bis.

Craig