[vorbis] as if you haven't seen this yet

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Sat Jul 14 03:09:06 PDT 2001

Greetings,

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, dongoodman wrote:
> i'm sure most of us are avid slashdot readers, but...
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/13/1558239&mode=nested
If you ask me, this looks a lot like one of these test between apache and
IIS or between linux and NT.

So, the question is how to react to this.
Question 1: Should we react anyway?
I guess so; it's FUD, and you should react to it but at in the correct
way!

Question 2: How should be react?
We, we should -at all cost- avoid a 'mp3 sucks, vorbis rules'-kind of
reply!
How exactly we want to react is something for the 'vorbis' people to
descide; but I would propose that everybody else would not respond to
this; until vorbis has made a formal reply to this!

PS. We should also be fair enough that is does might be possible that
vorbis was NOT the best. The apache-IIS test was actually very good
example at this. Apache did have some serious problem that showed up in
this test. But, the weeks after that, the worked special on this; and a
new test -some time later- showed that these problems where solved.
So, the apache-people showed that a open-source project has the ability to
very fast respond to certain problems; which turned out a very 'strong'
point for them!

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN