[vorbis] Open Source Compression

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jul 12 14:27:02 PDT 2001

>   I thought some here may find this interesting...  There has been
> discussion in Monkey's Audio forum about creating a new open source format
> for lossless audio compression with the intent of creating a *standard* for
> lossless compression, similar to what Xiph is trying to do with Ogg Vorbis.
> Some have even been tossing around the idea of trying to work in conjunction
> with Xiph on this, and a couple developers from other lossless formats seem
> interested as well.

Ooo, this is very serendipitous.  Now that final Vorbis 1.0 is near,
I'd been planning to start contacting people as I'd like the new
'Squish' (Or whatever it ends up being called) to be a collaboration.
I have a few novel ideas I've not yet tried, and I expect the Shorten,
LPAC and Monkey's Audio folks have quite a bit to add to this.

> http://members.boardhost.com/monkeys_audio/msg/3695.html

Will do.  Thanks for the tip.

Monty