[vorbis] ABR or CBR?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Jul 7 10:51:03 PDT 2001

> Forget about what I quoted before.  Probably, by CBR, Monty meant ABR
> since CBR is stupidly patented and this is the reason why Vorbis has
> no CBR option.

Incorrect.  CBR is not patented and Vorbis has no CBR option because
it is not natively CBR.  MP3 is based on fixed sized frames, Vorbis
is not. (MP3 actually implements a limited ABR on top of the fixed
size frame option, so CBR is a misnomer for MP3 as well).

By 'CBR' I mean 'simulated fixed bitrate within a small window of frames', the
same thing it means in MP3 (where the window is nine frames).

Monty