[vorbis] wma8 decodings

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Jul 3 12:16:39 PDT 2001

Monty wanted some samples with which to compare Vorbis and WMA, and he
doesn't have a Win32 machine, so I made some.

Microsoft has made their own demo samples available at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/WM8/audio.asp

I took their original .wav's, and encoded them with their wma8 encoder
utility (WM8EUTIL.EXE), using all of the available stereo modes at
44.1kHz.  This includes, 192, 160, 128, 96, 80, 64, 48, 32 kbps.  I then
used the Advanced WMA Workshop
(http://www.litexmedia.com/?from_WMAWorkshop) to decode the .wma's back
into WAV.  This is the only program that would let me decode more than
half the damn file, without paying $30.  I can't believe people charge
money for these trivial wrapper around Microsoft's filters.

The resulting wavs and the original wavs (each 5.2MB) are available
here:

http://www.vorbis.com/~jack/wma8/

Let the fun begin :)

jack.