[vorbis] Questions about bitrates

Hongli Lai hongli at telekabel.nl
Sun Jul 1 11:58:57 PDT 2001

If I understand correctly, Ogg Vorbis is a lossless format. But then why
does it support bitrates?
Ogg Vorbis does not delete any information. When I encode a 128 kbit MP3
file to 32 kbit OggVorbis,
the resulting file has a bitrate of about 110 kbit.
And when I encode it to 320 kbit, the file will be bigger, but the quality
won't improve because
of the quality of the original.
So what purpose does bitrates in Ogg Vorbis have?