[vorbis] what about mac

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Fri Jan 19 22:11:46 PST 2001

At 9:53 AM +0100 1/19/01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>  > Dave Singer says that if you add a plug in to QuickTime it will go into
>>  iTunes as well.
>
>If anyone wants to help me write a QT plugin...

I know exactly what needs to be written.  There are essentially two
components you'd need to write:  An audio decompressor component that
converts an Ogg Vorbis data stream to raw PCM audio, and a QuickTime
movie import component that encapsulates an Ogg Vorbis data stream in
a sample in a media in an audio track in a movie.  (That's an
in-memory Movie structure, not a movie file.)

Apple has some useful sample code; the AudioCodec example shows how
to implement a simple µLaw audio CODEC, and the ImporterMac example
shows how to implement a very simple movie import component.

   <ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Sample_Code/Sound/AudioCodec.sit>
   <ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Sample_Code/QuickTime/
    Importers_and_Exporters/ImporterMac.sit>

I would *not* suggest this project for someone who's never done
Macintosh development before though.  Component debugging can be
tricky.  (I don't know whether or not you've done Macintosh
development, Segher, so I'm just guessing that you haven't.  My
sincere apologies if I'm wrong about that.)  I'd do it myself, but
I've become extremely busy lately.  I'll answer any questions I can
though.

   -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
bDistributed.com: Making Business Distributed