[vorbis] Papers on Image Compression

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Tue Jan 30 20:52:57 PST 2001

From: "Dan Hollis"

> Has qvix got any redeeming features for low-bitrate video?
>
> http://cu30.sourceforge.net/

Dont ask me, Im an expert at nothing :) But Ill give my opinion anyway...

As I understand it they directly quantize the residual error frame and huffman
code the result, if the residual error is practically noise thats as good an
approach as any... but if you have a lot of new image content appearing then
transform coding will easily win as always IMO. Ok for conferencing if you need
low complexity, otherwise not so good.

Marco