[vorbis] LGPL question.

Rosyna rosyna at unsanity.com
Sat Jan 27 17:28:46 PST 2001

I received the following email, how do you suggest I handle it? vers
resources allow one line of text:

>  The LGPL only requires us to release the source code if we modify it,
>  we use the normal Mac CVS distro unmodified. There is no difference
>  in the code used in the Vorbis engine from the Code on xiph.org.

But the "Vorbis Engine" plugin reads in its version resource "© 2000, Unsanity,
LLC <http://www.unsanity.com>" which would imply to a reasonable person that
there exists a difference, I would presume.

I also see in Fragmalyzer that when I browse that plugin, I see that it imports
from the Unsanity Echo library "Echo_ChangePlaybackParameters",
"Echo_FetchControl", "Echo_GetControlValue", "Echo_GetLength",
"Echo_GetMarker",
"Echo_Push", and "Echo_ReadData".

This would appear to make the plugin as a whole, specifically including the
portions of it which call those linked routines, a "work based on the library"
under the LGPL 2.1, thus your distribution of said plugin without source would
appear on the face of it to be a violation of Section 2).

But perhaps I misunderstand how the plugin is structured and the above does not
actually point to it being a" work based on the library", although
that would be
somewhat odd. There is also section 6),

"...You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the Library
is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by this License. You
must supply a copy of this License. If the work during execution displays
copyright notices, you must include the copyright notice for the Library among
them, as well as a reference directing the user to the copy of this License."

and no matter how and where the code is being used in any portion of the
Unsanity Echo distribution whatsoever, I do not see how this provision is being
complied with. Please explain.

--
Sincerely,
Rosyna Keller

Unsanity: Unsane Tools for Insane People