[vorbis] oggenc

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Fri Jan 12 20:05:59 PST 2001

Frank Hale wrote:

> Anyone hacking on oggenc to make it faster?

Yep. Supposing you got beta3 now, expect a 2x-3x performance
increase in beta4.

> It seems pretty slow on my PIII

P3's are very bad at handling large amounts of data. I'll need
to do special (i.e., processor-specific) things to make encoding
faster on intel chips. Oh, and I'll need an intel machine as well,
don't have one myself.

> 500. Of course I am judging that against mp3 compression which is heaps
> faster on my machine. Is ogg encoding more complex than mp3 encoding?

Yes, Vorbis encoding is more complex.

Cheers,

Segher