[vorbis] Ogg article on zdnet

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Wed Feb 28 12:37:00 PST 2001

"Mark Kanof" <mark at kanof.com> wrote:

> Maybe someone can explain this to me.  I don't see how the ogg creators
> could get sued for anything.  As I understood it, ogg encoding is not in
> any way related to mp3 encoding, besides the fact that it is also a lossy
> audio compression format.  But other than that I was assuming it was
> something new.

Thomson and Fraunhofer have patents on many processes in
audio compression so not all of these processes are only mp3 related,
meaning that they can be used in some other audio compression
format. Ogg Vorbis doesn't infringe any of their patents (or any other),
but if they want to sue you, nothing can stop them but I think that
they better found some real basis if they are going to sue.

>From the mentioned article:

[A spokesman for Thomson Multimedia, which maintains the MP3 technology
licensing program, said the company isn't monitoring the Vorbis project
closely. Nevertheless, they are on the lookout for possible patent
infringements, he said.
"We continue to follow Ogg Vorbis," said Henri Linde, vice president of new
business at Thomson . "I would say we continue to have some thoughts that it
is very likely that they are using some of the Thomson/Fraunhofer solutions
in the project...But it's not part of our daily concern."]

It looks like they haven't found anything in Vorbis code (they have surely
taken a serious look by now) that infringes their patents, but I see that
they haven't changed their FUD strategy...

Greetings,
Aleksandar