[vorbis] Few questions concerning clipping

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 26 07:52:24 PST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:29:00AM -0600, Steven Bailey wrote:
> That is kind of something I've been wondering about.  I can see that
> beta4 has just walked out the door (huzzah!!!) and I'll be spending
> plenty of time testing it out over the next week or so.  However, I'm
> wondering what the status of Joint stereo is at the moment?  Has it been
> implemented in this beta release?  If not, is there a plan or have there
> been any major snags in the implementation?

Not yet.  We didn;t want to hold up b4 any longer.

> Asside from freeing up more bits for use in improving the signal
> quality, does will joint stereo have any other effects like improved
> stereo seperation?

No, but depending on how you do it, it can result in more accurate
reproduction... sometimes by accident.  For example, one thing that
crops up in low bitrate Oggs right now is that the stereo image gets
'breathy' in the high end; it spreads out do to intrachannel
quantization turning into inter-channel noise.  If your noisy-sound is
centered, M/S stereo accidentally eliminates the problem as there's
no side energy to leak.

Monty