[vorbis] Ogg Voxpop

Michael Smith msmith at xn.com.au
Mon Feb 12 22:39:40 PST 2001

> I am having some trouble figuring out how Vorbis works.
> The documentation that comes wrapped in the .tar files
> on the web site seems to do a fair job of describing
> the Ogg, but says almost nothing about the Vorbis.
>
> Is there a secret cache of more documentation?  If not,
> I think that should be a high priority.  Working code is
> good, but you can't make a standard without a good
> description of what is needed in a conforming implementation.
> (Well, maybe Perl and Windows prove you can---but you shouldn't.)

We agree. Documentation is very important. However, internal format
documentation has lower priority than things like... actually finishing
vorbis (for 1.0, at least). There are people working on bitstream-level
docs, though, so we'll hopefully have some (at least a draft version)
reasonably soon.

For your purposes, it isn't actually that important to understand the
internals of vorbis, just the external APIs (which are documented,
though the documentation isn't complete yet). However, your point is
still valid.

Michael