[vorbis] Ogg Voxpop

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Mon Feb 12 22:19:08 PST 2001

> From: Gregory Maxwell <greg at linuxpower.cx>
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 07:50:25PM -0500, Keith Wright wrote:
> [snip]
> > My current thought is to filter the input down to a bandwidth
> > of 7KHz or 4KHz (traditional values for high and low quality
> > speech), decimate the samples so that the sound is sampled
> > at, say, 44/3=14.6KHz or 44/5=8.8KHz, then run it through
> > the standard Vorbis encoder.
>
> Vorbis can happily take in a 8.8KHz (or just about any other) sampling rate
> file and act accordingly. If you like to vorbis (make it think it's
> chipmunks) you will get HORRIBLE results because the psycoacustic masking is
> highly frequency dependant and vorbis will get the masking all wrong.

OK, squelch that idea.  Thanks for the warning.

I am having some trouble figuring out how Vorbis works.
The documentation that comes wrapped in the .tar files
on the web site seems to do a fair job of describing
the Ogg, but says almost nothing about the Vorbis.

Is there a secret cache of more documentation?  If not,
I think that should be a high priority.  Working code is
good, but you can't make a standard without a good
description of what is needed in a conforming implementation.
(Well, maybe Perl and Windows prove you can---but you shouldn't.)

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright at free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---