[vorbis] RTP/RTCP payload?

John Simon simon at quagga.kaist.ac.kr
Wed Feb 14 11:20:28 PST 2001

(hello all, this is my first writing. so please
bear with me if I'm wrong anywhere.)

orry to break too lately, but how is the RTP payload
submission is going?
could we see the new payload at March IETF?

I agree that it would be fairy straightforward to
make an RTP payload for ogg vorbis, assuming raw
packets, AFAIK. using physical bitstream is, in
this case, not adequate by the reasons in RFC-1889.

but I don't think that's enough. rather than
sending comments in the same RTP packet, we'd
better send it in RTCP packet. to do that
we should define an RTCP APP name field for needed
situations, or an RTCP extension.

(or, could we piggyback on RFC-2793 and rather
define an XML format?...)

of course, when the tarkin goes beta, we would need
to define its own payload, AND the payload for multiplexed
physical stream, which could be compared to RFC-2343.

ps.

personally, I was a little shocked to see that
http://xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/faq.html
says that forward adaptive is anachrostic.
especially when I found that Monty knows about
the gross thing :)
(http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mp3-06.txt)

--
john