[vorbis] International Standard Recording Code

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Thu Feb 8 19:20:47 PST 2001

Keith Wright wrote:
> > From: Moritz Grimm <maxx at kolabore.de>
> > > Only 46655 labels per country? Someone wasn't thinking ahead. The
> > > two-digit year will be a scalability problem as well. Too bad. :-/
> > You might be right, but that shall not be our problem. ;-| There are
> > not THAT many labels founded every year, and I guess 45 kilolabels
> > should be enough, even for America ... at least within the next 70
> > years. ;(
> That's what the MegaCorp accountants want you to think.  If this
> Internet/Vorbis thing works out, every guitar picker in Nashville
> can be his own label.  Not all of them will be million sellers,
> but it might not be up to the ISRC registrars to decide which are.

Well, the first point is that you can't be a registrar as a private
person. Although getting a company is not the problem (it costs you 40
DM, that#s about US$20 here in Germany), it will narrow down the amount
of wannabe registrars. The second point is, if you can't keep that
company running, because you're running out of money or you're just too
lazy to go on doing the paperwork for a company that sells nothing (more
likely), you HAVE to give your registrar code back so it can be assigned
to a new company the following year (to prevent assignment of an ISRC to
multiple recordings).

This makes it pretty unlikely that they run out of registrar codes some
day. However, I totally agree that the two digit year code is complete
bullshit. AFAIK, the ISRC was invented in the 70's, so there will a
problem within 70 years from now. But ...

> The Y2K problem was so overhyped that my _plumber_ laughs at
> programmers for being so stupid as to put the date in two bytes.
> It's not like two bytes are valuable anymore, it takes
> a couple MB to store a sound long enough to be worth numbering.
> This scheme was born obsolete.  I don't know what is the earliest

... I bet they were pretty valuable in the 70's when they invented it.
You gotta see it from this point, Y2k was overhyped because most/some of
the software was modernized already years before the year 2000.

Yes, they didn't think ahead, roughly 30 years ago ... most likely
because they thought that by the 2050s a much better system would be
used (and that the kids are born on Mars and we're spending our holidays
on Pluto).

Fact is, in 2050, when there must be thought of an alternative for the
ISRC, I am propably senile or dead and OGG Vorbis too. :)

Moritz