[vorbis] International Standard Recording Code

Keith Wright kwright at gis.net
Thu Feb 8 18:29:48 PST 2001

> From: Moritz Grimm <maxx at kolabore.de>
>
> > > P.S.: FYI, the visual representation of the ISRC is also
> > Only 46655 labels per country? Someone wasn't thinking ahead. The
> > two-digit year will be a scalability problem as well. Too bad. :-/
>
> You might be right, but that shall not be our problem. ;-| There are
> not THAT many labels founded every year, and I guess 45 kilolabels
> should be enough, even for America ... at least within the next 70
> years. ;(

That's what the MegaCorp accountants want you to think.  If this
Internet/Vorbis thing works out, every guitar picker in Nashville
can be his own label.  Not all of them will be million sellers,
but it might not be up to the ISRC registrars to decide which are.

The Y2K problem was so overhyped that my _plumber_ laughs at
programmers for being so stupid as to put the date in two bytes.
It's not like two bytes are valuable anymore, it takes
a couple MB to store a sound long enough to be worth numbering.
This scheme was born obsolete.  I don't know what is the earliest
recording still readable, but if someone digitizes the sound of
Tom Edison shouting "Mary had a little lamb", it will have to be
dated '77.  (I know they both sound scratchy, son, but the
Gramphone was not developed as part of the Apollo lunar mission.)

All the same, if somebody wants to put ISRC labels on their
recordings, nihil obstat*.  I do think it would be a good
idea to post a list on the Vorbis web site of some of the
"standard" labels, just to prevent stupid variations and
overlaps.

     -- Keith

     * Latin for "Nothing Obstructs".  (Imprimatur Hackerum)