[vorbis] International Standard Recording Code

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Wed Feb 7 11:27:11 PST 2001

Ralph Giles wrote:
> > I really hope that this could be achieved without changing the format
> > and/or making current decoders useless. I doubt that the ISRC is worth
> > that effort, but if not, implementing it would be great.
> Not a problem, the vorbis comment header is completely extensible. 'ISRC'
> sounds like a good tag name to me. I wouldn't suggest we canonize it yet,
> but you should definitely go ahead and use it in your ogg files. (Like
> CDDBID) it sounds like a great way to identify source material.
>
> Players may or may not do anything useful with it, but none should have
> any problem with it.

This sounds like good news. I'd be glad to have it some day.

> Is the ISRC meant to label recordings, or just particular publications of
> them (like the UPC codes)?

The ISRC uniquely describes one recording and accompanies it through its
whole lifetime. It never changes, not even when the owner of the
recording changes. The EAN/UPC is to identify a publication, no matter
what actual content it has, afaik.

> > P.S.: FYI, the visual representation of the ISRC is also standardized.
> > The upper example would be "ISRC DE-R46-01-00001", of course without the
> > quotes. Note the preceding "ISRC" and the dashes.
> Only 46655 labels per country? Someone wasn't thinking ahead. The
> two-digit year will be a scalability problem as well. Too bad. :-/

You might be right, but that shall not be our problem. ;-| There are not
THAT many labels founded every year, and I guess 45 kilolabels should be
enough, even for America ... at least within the next 70 years. ;(

Moritz