[vorbis] music e-commerce using vorbis

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Feb 6 17:28:41 PST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Monty wrote:
> A Fraunhofer exec shot his mouth off on a subject about which he was
> uninformed, and FhG publically backed down a bit in a statement a few
> days later (the exact quote is in an article on www.the451.com if I
> remember correctly; search their site for 'Vorbis'.)

Quote from 451:

"Meanwhile, Thomson executives are saying publicly that they believe Ogg
Vorbis infringes their patents just as much as MP3 does. "We intend to
vigorously defend our patent portfolio," Arland told the451. "We are
investigating Ogg Vorbis, and if it infringes our patents, we will defend
them. If you owned something and someone was stealing it from you, you
would go after them to get it back. If Ogg Vorbis or anybody else is
infringing on our patents, we will do the same."

So they are still publically claiming vorbis infringes fraunhofer patents,
and they didn't back down at all on their claim.

-Dan