[vorbis] 24/96 ?

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Wed Dec 19 14:32:49 PST 2001

On Thursday 20 December 2001 05:17, Roland Nagtegaal wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:56:19AM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> > As far as I can guess, there is no reason it couldn't do 96kHz. It's just
> > that nobody has had time to tune the encoder for 96kHz sources. The fact
> > that most people don't have 96kHz sources and sound cards might have
> > something to do with that...

> Well, that may change very soon now with the audigy (creative)
> and others.

I've heard reports (on slashdot, so take it with a grain of salt) that
audigys can only do 24 bit at 48kHz and 96kHz at something like 16bit.
If you want 96/24 you usually want it for recording, in which case there are
better cards and devices out there.

> There is of course not much 24/96 music to be bought
> on CD, but musicians could use vorbis very well to distribute
> (or sell) 24bit/48kHz or even 24bit/96kHz via the internet.
>
> So, I think this feature will become important very soon.

Maybe. DVD-A has been floating around for a few years now and has yet to make
any real market impact. My gut feeling is that sound quality alone is not
something that will compell the average consumer to switch - after all,
they're willing to tolerate the present state of radio and 128kbit mp3's from
napster.

Meanwhile, if you're recording samples, you probably want to use a lossless
codec like FLAC to store the audio rather than vorbis.

John