[vorbis] 24/96 ?

Roland Nagtegaal roland at lorentz.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Dec 19 08:17:33 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:56:19AM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > looking around for a new audiocard, my eye fell on the
> > M-audio audiophile 2496. It has 4 digital in/out and
> > is 24bit, 96kHz. The sound quality is very good,
> > if I can believe the reviews.
> >

> > My question is: can vorbis do 24bit, 96kHz ?
>
> Vorbis does 24 (and 32) bit today.
>
> As far as I can guess, there is no reason it couldn't do 96kHz. It's just
> that nobody has had time to tune the encoder for 96kHz sources. The fact
> that most people don't have 96kHz sources and sound cards might have
> something to do with that...
>
> Peter Harris

Well, that may change very soon now with the audigy (creative)
and others. Many 24/96 cards are available for reasonable prices,
and many newly sold computers are sold with an audigy build in.

There is of course not much 24/96 music to be bought
on CD, but musicians could use vorbis very well to distribute
(or sell) 24bit/48kHz or even 24bit/96kHz via the internet.

So, I think this feature will become important very soon.

Roland Nagtegaal