[vorbis] (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Dec 12 02:20:32 PST 2001

On 2001-12-06, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:57:55PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
> >On Friday 07 December 2001 14:39, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> >> Sorry. the ARTIST tag is crufty baggage we shouldn't be shackled to til
> >> the next millenium.  It has to go.  Sooner the better.

ARTIST is used very much in other places, for example the tons of MP3
lying around provide you with ARTIST information.  Now one gets to know
that the "artist" of an ogg is Foo Bar but doesn't know who is he -the
performer, ensemble, conductor, etc.  He wants to express this partial
information in a tag.  That the role I see for the ARTIST tag - to express
partial information that happens to be common.  Full information is of
course preferable, where availiable.

> >Well, that's your opinion. I don't see any reason why these different field
> >sets can't live together, after all, you don't have to use them. Personally
> >I'll go on using the ARTIST tag where it suits me, and as I can use arbitary
> >tags as much as I like, there's nothing you can do to stop me.
>
> You can use an ARTIST tag all you want.  But OGG is not MP3.  Don't be
> surprised if the standard-following players stop displaying your ARTIST
> tag.

I won't use a player that is incapable to support a certain tag.

> If people still use ARTIST, there is little incentive to support
> ENSEMBLE, PERFORMER and CONDUCTOR.  The standard will die stillborn,
> and we'll forever be limited to the toy sandbox that MP3 plays in.

I still misunderstand all the "support" thing.  What support do you need
to start using better tags?  Once they are agreed upon (among the people
group you feel the need to agree with ;), you just start to use them.  Do
I miss anything?

> Jonathan

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)