[vorbis] X-TAGs re: (Classical) Request for Standardization of expanded TAGS

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Dec 7 17:28:01 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:32:35PM -0800, Jonathan Walther <krooger at debian.org> wrote:
| On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:05:18PM -0800, Karel P Kerezman wrote:
| >Having said that, my biggest worries with adding new tags at the
| >nearly-1.0 stage are compatibility with existing player code and
| >existing files
|
| Better to do this now, than after 1.0 when the huge landrush comes in.
| Its not that hard to retag existing oggs.
|
| >and how such a project as "tagspace enhancement" might
| >distract the developers at a key point in the development cycle. Or, put
| >another way, even if the developers want to do this, can they spare the
| >time right now to do it right?
|
| Once we get enough concensus, I will submit patches to ogg123, and to
| Debians "abcde" program for ripping CD's and turning them into ogg's.

Dudes, as an interim thing can we go with a convention used in the MIME
type world and the RFC[2]822 message header world: all "made up" tags
start with "x-" (or X_ if the Ogg tag syntax doesn't like dashes).

This would let everyone encoding something not yet nailed down at least
stay out of the way of the formal tag names.

[...]
| It'll just be a little work for me fixing the ogg client up to display
| the new tags nicely.  All it will require from the developement team is
| someone to update the webpage to reflect the standard.

Suggestion: a format string? "%{tagname} blah... %{othertag}... etc"?

--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs at zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to
Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my
own devising, and a serious attitude problem.	- Rick Moen