[vorbis] Goals and Non-Goals of a standard for TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 23:57:59 PST 2001

Some people seem to be a bit confused.  I admit I didn't enunciate the
goals as clearly as I could have in the beginning.  There are four goals.
Here they are.

1) Identify a track so I can know exactly what I am listening to, and
   enjoy it.  For a pop song, name of performer and title of song are
   often enough.  For a piece of classical music, much more is typically
   needed.
2) Identify a track so I can run out and buy the exact CD it is was
   ripped from.  In many cases, even pop songs need as much information
   for this purpose as a typical piece of classical music.
3) Let goals 1 and 2 be fulfilled without access to external databases
   or the Internet.
4) Be usable and not painful for all genres of recording.

My Non-Goal for the standard is:

1) Stuff every available bit of information about a track and the CD it
   is on into the TAGS section. (liner notes, lyrics, the bandleaders
   dogs name...)

Not everyone may share these goals.  They are important to me.  I hope
they don't conflict with the goals of other people who are trying to
decide the fate of the Ogg format.  If someone feels they do conflict, I
hope they will be honest and forthright enough to explain their position
clearly on this list.

Jonathan